By Ryan Seeloff
After years of making this pie for family, friends, and a good proportion of my wife’s co-workers I am finally going to give out the recipe for my peanut butter pie.
I found several recipes for peanut butter pies a couple years ago and started to experiment with them to concoct a creation of my very own. Little did I realize the demand that would make me soon realize that maybe, just maybe I should have kept this to myself.
A month does not go by without someone asking for one of these pies (Usually several times a month) and I even adapt the recipe to make sure those asking for a pie get just what they want.
Here is the basic recipe with some tips on how to tweak it and make it your own.
Ingredients for a single pie
– 1 Oreo pie crust (Or use a graham cracker or shortbread crust if you are not a chocoholic)
– 1/2 bar of cream cheese softened to room temperature
– 1/2 cup of your favorite peanut butter (I use creamy, but you can use crunchy)
– 1/2 cup of milk (Whatever you have in the fridge, but I use skim)
– 1 tsp of vanilla extract
– 1 cup of sifted powdered sugar
– 1 8-ounce container of Cool Whip (Not frozen, but extra creamy if you can find it)
– Toppings if you wish can consist of; chocolate shavings (I use belgian milk chocolate from Whole Foods Market), crushed walnuts or pecans, chocolate chips or peanut butter chips (You can also stir 1/4 cup of chips into the pie itself), or your favorite chocolate sauce.
To make the pie
– Combine cream cheese and peanut butter in a large mixing bowl. Stir until blended well.
– Add milk and vanilla to mixture and stir until blended.
– Add sifted powdered sugar and stir until blended.
– Add chocolate or peanut butter chips if you wish to have them in the pie.
– Scoop Cool Whip into bowl and mix well.
– Pour mixture into pie crust (Take that plastic off first silly). There will sometimes be a little leftover depending on the pie crust you choose. Consider the leftover mixture your reward for being such a great person.
– Top the pie with your choice of toppings and place into a freezer for at least six hours.
To serve the pie
– Don’t tell anyone you’ve made one (Just kidding, you don’t want to keep this to yourself)
– Take out of freezer 10 minutes before serving.
– Slice it up and serve.